Carbon monoxide is known as a dangerous gas. Exposure can quickly become deadly with most people unaware that they have come into contact with anything that could cause significant damage. While people in California and across the country are aware of the dangers associated with exposure, many are unaware when the threat of exposure is imminent. For example, multiple out-of-state workers were recently hospitalized as a result of toxic exposure.
The exposure occurred in May. Reports indicate that a worker in a warehouse was discovered unconscious. While he was being transported to the hospital, paramedics found that he had a high level of carbon monoxide in his system. Tests at the warehouse found that levels were significantly higher than what is considered safe.
At the time, several other workers began experiencing symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. They were all transported to hospitals for treatment. The conditions of the men who were exposed are unclear at this time. Officials believe that the gas build up occurred while workers were using concrete finishers in an enclosed space.
It is unclear how much time the men who are recovering from the toxic exposure will spend in the hospital, how much medical treatment they will need or when they will be able to return to work. Fortunately, they are likely entitled to workers' compensation insurance benefits to help with the financial consequences of their exposure. While haggling with the insurance company can often be time consuming and frustrating, people in California who are injured or become ill as a result of a workplace accident can seek the guidance of a professional experienced with the process to ensure that they are treated fairly.
Source: wjla.com, "11 people treated for carbon monoxide poisoning in Rockville", Kevin Lewis, May 12, 2015